For a builder’s license, many Australian citizens are unsure if they need a diploma or certification courses. Yes, that is the answer to this query. In Australia, you need to have a permit or be authorized to operate as a builder or building contractor.  However, you will need to accumulate a blend of expertise, technical credentials, abilities, and knowledge until you can seek your license or registration.

A qualification can be obtained through certain institutions’ courses that allow you to earn Certificates I, II, III, and IV, Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas, and additional Certificate and Diploma Courses. The Victorian Government occasionally provides cash and perks to these organisations, allowing them to provide financial possibilities to students for a less expensive education. If you have known of someone completing a free Certificate IV Building and Construction or Diploma of Building and Construction course, then you may be confident that the Victorian Government is funding RTOs and TAFEs so they can provide you with affordable training.

So, what qualifications do you need to get a builder’s licence in Victoria? Let’s find it out!

Qualifications for Getting a Builder Licence in Australia

What’s the origin of it all? In Victoria, you must possess the necessary credentials or have years of relevant job expertise until you can even apply for a building licence. In the construction industry, this begins with apprenticeships for many tradespeople.

You might start as a Building/Construction Manager, Building Supervisor, and Trade Contractor. In either case, this is where you’ll get the majority of your practical and theoretical knowledge training. Following the completion of your apprenticeship, you should start researching the building registration courses that will help you become licensed.

Having trouble obtaining a builders licence in Victoria?

Enrol in the  CPC40120 Certificate 4 in Building & Construction program to get started (Building). Almost every university offers this degree as well as a Diploma of Property Management Course in both traditional classroom settings and online learning environments because you are probably a busy tradesperson during the day. This course will assist you in setting up your own business and getting ready for registration.

Enrol in the CPC50220 Diploma of Building & Construction once you’re ready to further your profession (Building). You can seek building licences that will enable you to work as a project leader, building manager, supervisor, project surveyor, or estimator after you have this nationally recognised certification. Apart from all these courses, you can also go for having a degree in certificate IV in real estate practice if you want to build your career or for getting a builder licence in Victoria easily.

How to Get a Builder’s Licence If You Are Studying in Victoria?

The Victorian Building Authority in Victoria oversees and controls the application procedure for a builder’s licence. A builders licence is referred to as a builders registration in this country.

In Victoria, there are several distinct forms of builders registration; the most common ones are:

Since they may only operate on sites and initiatives for which they are licensed, applicants must be very clear about the registration type they wish to get.

For instance, if you obtain a Domestic Builder (Limited) registration, you are not permitted to operate as a builder on commercial building projects.

There are other registration kinds; for a complete list and details on what each class permits builders to accomplish, check the website of the Victorian Builder’s Association.

In a Conclusion,

Your overview of whether a certificate or a diploma course is required or not for licensing in Australia is now complete. Many of the building and construction programs that colleges provide nowadays not only give you an introduction to the field, but also impart the knowledge and expertise you’ll need to work in it, enable you to put down the tools, and satisfy the educational requirements for licensure in a number of Australian states.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please contact us at 03 8608 9901

(MON- FRI, 9AM – 5PM)

or email to

This will close in 0 seconds


Please contact us at 03 8608 9901

or 0415 180 281

or email to

This will close in 0 seconds