Living in Australia - Skilled Up

Australia is an incredible country to live and travel. It is a nation that is diverse in its culture and environment. Its people are friendly and relaxed. Some of Australia’s most famous tourist natural attractions include: the great Barrier Reef, Great Ocean Road, Uluru, Kakadu national Park, the Raintree Rainforest and there are many site visits area across Australia.

Good Choice for study.

There are more than 650,000 overseas students studying in Australia and each year the numbers are increasing from different part of the world student destination is Australia. The Australian student export is third largest contribution in Australian economy. Most of the student chosen Australia for several reasons:

  • Australia has a high-quality education system
  • Australia offer traditional education in reputable colleges and universities.
  • Australian universities and colleges have established networks of support to help overseas students.
  • The Australian Vocational Education and Training (VET) section has strongly education systems and pathways to Universities.
  • Academic and welfare support and rich diverse culture of students across all Australian Education colleges and Universities.
  • Australia is a Safe, Sable country with pleasant climate.

Living Cost

The choices you make about accommodation, transport, food and entertainment will greatly vary your living costs in Melbourne. The Live in Melbourne website offers some guidance on typical expenses. Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. For your reference, here are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia. For more information, please click the link below: 

Eating out

Melbournians love good food. The city and suburbs are full of cafes, restaurants and, bars serving cuisines from all over the world. Certain parts of the city are famous for their culinary specialty:

Italian: Lygon Street, Carlton

Spanish: Johnston Street, Fitzroy

Vietnamese: Victoria Street, Abbotsford

Chinese and Asian: Chinatown, City Centre

Greek: Lonsdale Street, City Centre 

Jewish: Carlisle Street, St Kilda.

Additional Cost issues

The cost and study calculator gives you a general idea of what the cost of bringing your family will be.

You also need to consider how your family will adjust to life in Australia.

  • How would the presence of your family will adjust to life in Australia?
  • How would your family cope with life in Australia?
  • Can your spouse communicate confidently in English?
  • Possible limited employment opportunities for your spouse?
  • Are you the primary carer for your children?
  • School or childcare arrangement for your children?

School going Kids

The Department of Home Affairs (DoHA) requires dependents of international students to attend school in Australia. Children must be five years old or turning five before 30 April of that calendar year to be eligible to start school in Victoria. For more information about schooling, refer to the Victorian Government Schools International Student Program website.

Before your children enter Australia, you will need to provisionally enrol them in a school. Information about schools is available from the Victorian Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. When choosing a school, many parents ask about: 

  • the school’s curriculum
  • extracurricular activities
  • the size of individual classes
  • the overall size of the school
  • whether there is an English as a Second Language (ESL) program offered
  • school fees and any additional costs

You should also consider:

  • the distance from the school to the University/SKUP Campus
  • the distance of the school from where you plan to live
  • how your children will travel to and from the school

The Diplomatic Mission in your country can advise you on which Victorian schools are registered to take international students.

School Fees

You are responsible for school fees (unless exempt) and other costs including school uniforms, books, stationery and excursions. You may need to pay for one semester’s school fees when you provisionally enrol your children.

Your dependants may be exempt from school fees at a Victorian Government School if you:

  • are a postgraduate research student enrolled in a doctoral (PhD) or Masters by Research degree; OR
  • receive a fully funded award or scholarship from the Australian government. If you receive a fully funded tuition scholarship from the University of Melbourne, you may also be eligible

Check if you are eligible for fee exemptions with the Victorian Government’s International Education Division.


Students can rent an apartment, flat or house or share a flat or house with other people (an arrangement called “share accommodation”).  When making a decision about where to live, students need to balance the cost of higher rents and lower transport costs in the city areas with the lower rents and higher transport costs of living in the suburbs.  

Renting an Apartment, Flat or House

Renting an apartment, flat or house means students can choose who lives with them and may be a good choice for students who prefer their independence. It also means that students may need to buy (or rent) all their own furniture. 

The estate agent will ask renters to sign a contract (tenancy agreement or lease) with the owner, agreeing to stay in the place for a minimum period of time (usually 6 or 12 months).   

Students need to make certain that the accommodation is suitable for their needs and that they can afford it.  

The average apartment or flat ranges from $200 – $300 per week (one bedroom) or $300 – $400 per week for a larger flat or house (two/three bedrooms). A bond or security deposit equal to one month’s rent will also need to be paid. A bond is money paid to the landlord or real estate agent in case a renter doesn’t fulfil their responsibilities. It is refundable after a renter moves out of the flat or house, provided they leave the property in reasonable condition and fulfils their obligations under the lease.

Rental properties can be accessed via – this site offers a range of accommodation with various real estate agents throughout Melbourne.  

Sharing an Apartment, Flat or House

This type of rental accommodation can only be arranged after arrival in Melbourne. In a shared apartment, flat or house each person usually has his or her own bedroom and shares the bathroom, kitchen and living areas with other people.

Costs depend on the size of the residence and the number of people sharing. The average price of a room ranges from $150 to $200 per week, plus an initial payment for the bond or security deposit. Food costs can be shared, with everyone paying an agreed amount per week, or each person buying his or her own food (approximately $75 to $100 per week). 

In most households the cost of electricity, telephone rental and other bills are shared equally (approximately $50 per week). 

Hostel Accommodation

Hostels usually have bathroom, living and leisure areas that are shared with other residents. Some hostels include meals in their fees, whilst at other hostels, people cook for themselves. Single rooms are available at most hostels but this is more expensive than sharing a room. Prices vary from approx. $150 to $250 per week. There may be other charges, such as a bond (security deposit) and appliance charges.


Homestay arrangements typically cost around $180 to $270 per week. Homestay families provide students with a private single room with bathroom and laundry shared with the family. Meals are usually included in the cost, but this varies to meet the needs for the family and student. Self-catering homestay is sometimes available and offers a cheaper alternative. This is a reliable way to find a reputable family to live with.

For more information, please refer to: or 

Accommodation Issues

If a student chooses to rent or live in shared accommodation or organise a shared accommodation house they should be aware of their legal rights and responsibilities.

Most of this information is contained in a booklet called “Renting: Your Rights and Responsibilities”. This booklet includes tenants’ rights in rental accommodation and their responsibilities, such as household maintenance and paying the rent on time. An electronic copy of this booklet is available from (go to the Resource Centre section and click on “Publications”).

Students may also be responsible for paying for the cost of the connection of the utilities; i.e., to have gas, electricity, water and telephone turned on. When leaving a rental property, the electricity, telephone, water and gas companies need to be notified so that students are no longer responsible for the bills.

Finally, when moving into a place, students need to make sure that they clearly understand all of the documents (including all terms and conditions) before signing them.

If students would like clarification or assistance on any accommodation issues, they can ask one of our Student Support Officers for assistance.

For more details please visit:

Melbourne Airport Student Welcome Desk

Melbourne airport has a student welcome Desk with helpful information for international students, including a free welcome pack and an international student guide. The Welcome Desk is open every day from 7am to midnight at the Travelers’ Information Service, International Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor, Terminal 2.

For more information, visit


International Students are not allowed to work until they have started their course. They can work up to 40 hours a fortnight while their course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of their course of study or training) and they can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. However, students should be aware that work may not be readily available, and they should not depend on this form of income for support. 

For further information, call the Department of Immigration & Border Protection enquiry line on 131 881, or go to

Students wishing to undertake paid employment will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN), which is a number used by the Australian Tax Office to identify people when they pay tax. Going to the local post office and asking for an application form, or by visiting can obtain a TFN, clicking on “For individuals” and following the links. A TFN should be kept in a safe place and not disclosed to anyone other than an employer or bank.

Employment Rights

There are a number of external agencies that can assist with employment related issues: 

Work safe Victoria & Occupational Health – Work safe Victoria is the manager of Victoria’s workplace safety system, and provides information on work cover and workplace occupational health & safety issues. For more information, please visit the website:

Equal Opportunity Commission – Receives complaints from people who feel they have been treated unfairly, have been discriminated against or is experiencing sexual harassment. For more information, please visit: or phone 1300 292153.

Australian Taxation Office – Provides information on taxation and superannuation issues. For more details, please visit: or phone 132 861 for an appointment.

Wage Line – Provides information on rates of pay and conditions of employment, award information, and employee entitlements regarding annual leave, sick leave, redundancy pay, superannuation and related issues. For more information, please visit or phone 1300 363 264

Job Watch – Investigates exploitation in employment and training and handles complaints and inquiries from the general public regarding annual leave, notice pay, sick leave, redundancy pay and related issues. For further detail information, please visit: or phone 03 9662 1933 or 1800 331 617

Fair Work Australia – FWA functions broadly to facilitate agreement making between employers and employees about wages and conditions, and to ensure that a safety net of fair minimum wages and conditions is established and maintained. For more information, please  


Melbourne is an excellent place to see the seasons change. In summer, most people head out to visit our golden beaches. In autumn, experience the glorious foliage of the many European-style parks that fringe the CBD. In winter, Melbournians enjoy the warmth of cozy cafes and bars. Spring is a time for renewal a great time to head back into our parks and revel in our beautiful gardens. Spring: September-November Summer: December-February Autumn: March-May Winter: June-August Summers are beautiful and warm with temperatures ranging from 28-38 degrees Celsius. Spring and autumn are mild. Winters can be cool but often with clear blue skies. Snow doesn’t fall in Melbourne but does in the alpine areas.

Bring Family

If you are travelling with your family while you are coming Australia on Student Visa, the cost of supporting a family in Australia is very high and it is important to ensure that you have sufficient funds to support them financially.

Australian Culture

Australia is a multicultural and highly diverse society. While there are, many language spoken in Australia. Aussie also have their own lingo call “Aussie” for more detail please visit

Culture and Event in Melbourne

Melbourne is enriching culture of art, theatre and cultural events. Scratch the surface in Melbourne in your term break or summer holidays. For more details please visit Things-to-do/Art-theatre-and-culture

Student Safety

If you feel unsafe or threatened at any time, have anything stolen or are assaulted, you can contact the Police for help and report the incident. Should you prefer, you can ask someone you know and trust to contact the Police on your behalf. If you experience language difficulties when speaking with the Police, they will provide someone, free of charge, who speaks your language to address your issue. All Victoria Police wear a blue uniform (either a jumper or a patrol jacket) and carry a Victoria Police badge. In an emergency you can contact the Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance by dialing 000.

If you require non-urgent advice or information or need to report a non-urgent matter, like lost property, you should attend or call the local Police Station.

Tips for living safe in Melbourne.

Melbourne is one of the safest cities in the world in which to live, work and study. As with any big city, it is a good idea to get some local knowledge when you arrive. Talk to local people about areas they would avoid at night.

10 Tips to help you travel safely around Melbourne

1.  Plan your trip ahead of time. Carry a public transport timetable and know the time of your last train/tram/bus. Call 1800 800 007 (6am -midnight) or go to Public Transport Victoria for information on timetables, routes and ticketing.

2.  Stand behind the yellow line until your train or tram arrives when waiting for public transport. Stand in well-lit areas. Make yourself aware of the location of security cameras.

3.  Where possible travel with friends. If you are on your own, consider traveling in the front carriage of the train, near the driver‘s cabin.

4.  Be aware of the red emergency button located near the exits on the train. If you press this button, the train driver will be able to see you via a security camera and organize police assistance if you need it.

5.  Be aware of what is going on around you, especially at night and remember your headphones, mobile phone or too much alcohol can distract you from your surroundings.

6.  Walk confidently and with purpose. Walk with other people. After dark, stick to well-lit paths where you are visible to passing traffic.

7.  If you feel at risk or uncomfortable when walking along the street, cross the street or change direction. Enter a shop or business where you can wait until you feel safe.

8.  In an emergency call 000 for police, fire and ambulance. It is a free call from all public, mobile and land line phones. Program 000 into your mobile just in case!

9.  In non-emergency situations, when you require advice or information call in on your local police station.

10.  If you witness or have knowledge about a crime, incident or offence, you can report it anonymously to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Overseas Student Health Cover

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC products. These may range from a basic product which covers only the compulsory minimum services to comprehensive products which cover, in addition to the compulsory minimum services, extra services as specified under the particular policy. You can find more information, including a list of the providers and average costs, on the Department of Health website. Remember, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship requires overseas students to maintain OSHC for the duration of time they are in Australia. For more details and getting insurance please visit

How much does OSHC cost?

The costs associated with OSHC will vary depending on individual insurers and their policies, the type of cover required and the duration. Overseas students are recommended to contact their respective private health insurer for policy related information before commencing OSHC to ensure an appropriate level of cover is chosen. All costs will be in Australian dollars (AUD).

Which insurers offer OSHC?

Pre-enrolment information

Student handbook


Medical and nursing services near City campus

Dental services near City campus

For free health advice from a Registered Nurse 24 hour, seven-days-a-week, phone Nurse-on-call on 1300 60 60 24.

Melbourne Transportation

Public transport

Melbourne’s public transport network is efficient, convenient and easy to use. You can choose from trains, trams, buses and yellow taxis. Buy a MYKI for flexible travel between trains, trams and buses. You will be able to use public transport in and around the city for just a few hours or al day? Plan your trip, buy tickets online and download maps and timetables form public transport Victoria, the one stop shop for information about travelling on public transport (Phone: 1800 800 007). 

Visit Public Transport Victoria for maps, timetables, tickets and route information.

Legislative information


The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, or ESOS Act, establishes legislative requirements and standards for the regulation of education and training institutions offering courses to international students in Australia on a student visa. In particular, ESOS provides tuition protection for international students. For further information, please click the link below:

Tuition Protection Services (TPS)

The TPS is a government initiative protecting international students in the event that an education provider is unable to fulfil their obligation to delivery the agreed course of study. The TPS ensures that international students are able to complete their study in another course or another education provider or those they get a refund of their unspent tuition fees. For further information, please click the link:


The Unique Student identifier (USI) ensures that you have access to all your training records online at any time. It makes life easier for you and your employer. If you are a continuing student in Vocational Education, Skilled Up needs your USI number before issuing qualification or if you are new student, you can create your USI, or SKUP can apply for your USI on your behalf.

For further details please visit:

Visa Conditions

Your visa is subject to a number of visa conditions that you must comply with. Different visa conditions apply to your and members of your family unit. Breaching a visa condition may result in the cancellation of your visa. For more details please visit

Complaint and Appeal

Skilled Up (SKUP) is committed to facilitating a learning process that is both beneficial and enjoyable. SKUP ensure that clients have access to a fair and equitable process for dealing with complaints and appeals, in a constructive and timely manner against decision made by SKUP. SKUP recognised the rights of learner/clients to complain without recrimination. SKUP will resolve all complaints and appeals within 45 days from the date SKUP received complaint or appeal. The written outcome of the complaint and appeal will be send to student within 3 working days’ after decision on complaint or appeal. Any learner/client wishing to make a complaint against SKUP shall complete the form and email to For more details please visit SKUP website

For external appeal:

Please visit the following Overseas Student Ombudsman for external appeal against SKUP decision. Note: you must follow SKUP compliant and Appeal process before appeal to overseas student ombudsman.

Note: In case SKUP will not able to handle the complaint and appeal within 45 days from the date of complaint or appeal received, SKUP Academic Director will inform the student in writing about the delay of the process outcome and reasons of delay in student complaint or appeal resolutions. SKUP will keep communication with the complaint or appellant on the process and resolution during the compliant or appeal process. SKUP will resolve all complaint and appeal within 45 days from the date of complaint or appeal received by SKUP


Please contact us at 03 8608 9901

(MON- FRI, 9AM – 5PM)

or email to

This will close in 0 seconds


Please contact us at 03 8608 9901

or 0415 180 281

or email to

This will close in 0 seconds